Willem grew up in the Netherlands on a typical Dutch farm, growing potatoes, onions, sugar beets and cereals. He has many experiences with farming in different countries, like Switzerland, Germany, Georgia and Ukraine, growing crops, sugar beets, wheat, rapeseed, potatoes and others.
He is also teaching (the prospective) farmers how to implement modern precision agriculture solutions
, without them losing their focus on the basics of crop growing.
Willem agreed to share with us some tips and guidance on how to calculate the benefits of using a GPS system for farmers.
The payback of the autosteer system depends a lot on many parameters and basically are very specific to each particular farm.
Most important are:
- The size of a farm;
- Type of a farm (organic / conventional);
- The types of crops you grow;
- The types of operations are executed by the farmer himself/herself (as some important field-operations might be executed by the contract worker);
- Employees, seasonal workers, friends, family, or one-man-company;
- Size, shape and location of fields (owned or seasonal rental);
- Day and night operations;
- The implement behind the tractor