The uniqueness of soil composition
The advantages of precision agriculture
- Increase in yield and quality of agricultural products;
- Optimization of farm resources (equipment, land bank, personnel);
- Saving goods and materials, reducing the number of machine-hours and man-hours;
In the United States, according to researchers from Auburn University, with the help of precision farming technologies, farmers can save from $ 4 to $ 62 / ha, and the increase in yield is from 0.5 to 1.5 tonnes/ha.
Precision agriculture: steps to implement
An integrated approach in precision agriculture is a key to success
The data collected by the drones is uploaded to specialized platforms for further processing and analyzing. Based on the obtained maps of vegetation indices, task maps are constructed to differentiate nitrogen fertilizers, plant protection products, and desiccants. These maps can be immediately loaded onto onboard equipment monitors.
Thus, in addition to information about the current state of crops, the farmer receives practical cases for solving problems. It should be noted that equipment manufacturers are expanding the functionality of their products by releasing self-driving tractors.
Farmers who own old models also can easily have their tractors upgraded for an affordable price. For example, FieldBee company offers useful tools for this purpose:
- FieldBee Tractor GPS Navigation App – for smart and precise field tracking, Mapping, Record-keeping of all field operations on your tablet/smartphone(Android-based), so you can easily export info to your PC. Also, you can link the app to other farm GPS receivers. With a free and premium subscription. Bonus – Free trial for newbies.
- RTK GNSS Receiver ( L1 or L2 ) – a sensitive sensor that improves the accuracy of +/-1 centimeter with RTK signal (with local NTRIP networks);
- FieldBee RTK GNSS Base Station (L1 or L2 ) – creates your own free RTK signal, transmits RTK correction via Radio and Internet with a radius of 20+ km, and works with an unlimited number of FieldBee receivers. Bonus – can be freely shared with your neighbors.
- FieldBee Autosteer Kit (mechanic or hydraulic) – to have your hands free and work under low visibility. Bonus – it is changeable between all old and new tractors (can be used on both old and new tractors).
Moreover, precise agriculture technologies help farmers create new opportunities for more effective fieldwork while also earning more money.